TheThe Basketball New Zealand (BBNZ) Board have met to consider, among other things, recommendations for the remaining tournaments scheduled in 2020. Associations throughout the country, as well as players, coaches and families, will be looking for some clarity around tournaments, to help planning and budgeting. At this stage, due to the Government’s necessary COVID-19 measures that are helping us fight the virus, there will not be any national age group events held during the next four months, until the end of July. It is difficult to provide certainty around what events will be worked into the calendar. Some events will be cancelled. However, where possible, BBNZ is postponing events and considering options including modifying events, reducing attendance, staging regional versions and shifting dates. CANCELLATIONS The following 2020 tournaments cancelled:
Under 19 Nationals (was scheduled for 30 May to 2 June in Dunedin)
Under 23 Nationals (was scheduled for 12-15 August in Napier)
Tertiary Nationals (was scheduled for 18-20 September in North Shore, Auckland)
BBNZ is considering the possibility of a tournament to cater for school leavers/young adults at a date yet to be decided. Please make the necessary arrangements regarding the cancellation of these tournaments. CURRENTLY POSTPONED The following 2020 tournaments are postponed:
Under 17 Nationals (was scheduled for 8-11 July in Nelson)
Under 15 Nationals (was scheduled for 15-18 July in Auckland)
BBNZ is considering when these events could be held this year, along with modified formats and qualification criteria. These decisions will depend on Government restrictions and advice from the Ministry of Health and Sport New Zealand, post the July/August period. Please make the necessary arrangements regarding the postponement of these tournaments. STILL SCHEDULED
The Secondary Schools Premierships (29 August – 5 September refer to BBNZ Calendar) and Championships (28 September – 3 October in Palmerston North) remain scheduled as is. These events are part of the School Sport New Zealand (SSNZ) sanctioned calendar, which is currently suspended. BBNZ will continue discussions with SSNZ and consider what is possible, but qualification processes, formats and attendance numbers may have to be adjusted to fit the realities of this COVID-19 environment.
The U13 regionals are still scheduled (7-10 October), but could be moved if required to assist staging of other postponed events.